In their latest published statistics, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) estimates there are approximately 1.8 million workers in Great Britain suffering from a work-related illness. Stress, depression, or anxiety make up 914,000 of these cases, an increase in over 90,000 from last year.
The impact on the country’s economic performance is enormous, with 30.8 million working days lost due to work-related ill-health, and an estimated £11.2 billion in annual costs of new cases of work-related ill-health in 2019/20 (excluding long latency illness such as cancer).
With this growing crisis, the HSE is urging employers to take action and do more to support good mental health in the workplace. If your organisation doesn’t have the necessary experience and tools to monitor and prevent mental health issues, that’s where EML can help. Our accredited Mental Health First Aider Joanne Howley can support your business to develop a workplace culture that prioritises employee health and wellbeing. Our wellbeing services include:
- The delivery of tailored, company-specific coaching to line managers focused on implementing positive mental health initiatives.
- Design and roll-out of bespoke documentation to assist with the support and management of mental health within the organisation.
- Working with you to develop a culture that removes the stigma surrounding mental health and encourages open conversation.
- Step-by-step guidance for managers to support employees absent from work due to mental health conditions and help them return to work.
- Development of a Wellbeing Strategy that will positively impact on the mental and physical health of your workforce and thereby help improve overall business performance.
If you are an employer and would like advice on workplace mental health and wellbeing support, or any other aspect of HR, Employment Law or Health & Safety, please contact us on 01942 727200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org